Stars in Coma is the brainchild of songwriter and producer André Brorsson. Since its formation in 2005, this Swedish band has released a prolific stream of albums and EPs, and toured Europe and the US. Brorsson’s idiosyncratic productions draw inspiration from a variety of genres, including guitar rock, disco, funk and semi-electronic pop. The band shares kinship with weirdo-poppers such as of Montreal and Ariel Pink, but it is also possible to pick up melodious echoes from British bands Belle & Sebastian and The Smiths.
US indie music site Obscure Sound called the band’s sound a mixture between “ABBA’s orchestra-laden and punchy pop to the idiosyncrasies of contemporary Swedish songwriters, like Jens Lekman and Eric Berglund,” while the She Turns the Tables music blog described them as a combination of “surf rock era Beatles, low fi bedroom ballad of Montreal, extraterrestrial psych rock Flaming Lips, and at times dropping a synth line you’d expect from the likes of MGMT”.
- My Sunshine Years (2006)
- The Monotone of the Rain (2006)
- You’re Still Frozen in Time (2008)
- Sisters (2009)
- And the Clouds Withdrew from the Sky (2010)
- Midnight Puzzle (2011)
- You, Me and a Nuance of Arctic Air (2012)
- The Confessional Sun (2014)
- Escapist Partisans (2017)
- Defunct Summer (2017)
- Every Evening, Sunset Crooks its Thumb Across the River (2019)